Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Carling Cup Round 1 vs Watford...

So it's the night before our game against Watford in the Carling Cup tomorrow evening. Well actually, whilst writing that sentence, the clock struck midnight, so actually it is now the day of the game! Exciting stuff.

Personally I've never really liked cup games. I always prefer to focus on the league. I quite like the JPT, particularly in the later rounds as it all gets quite exciting with the opportunity of playing at Wembley, but other than that I fail to get too enthusiastic about the cups. That is likely to be because other than the 2001-2002 and 2007-2008 seasons, we've done pretty poorly in the FA Cup and in regards to the Carling Cup, we've pretty much been defeated in round 1 for years.

But for some reason, I'm quite looking forward to the game against Watford. They're struggling in the Championship, we're doing well in League Two and it's geared up to be an interesting game of football. I'm excited going in to every game with Bucks in charge, because of the attacking football we play (it's a bit of a novelty compared to what we've had to put up with over the past few years!) but this is the first time in a long while I'm looking forward to a first round cup match.

I genuinely think we have a chance of progressing and although a trip to Orient isn't much of a reward, a victory will help boost our early season confidence heading in to league games against Hereford, Crawley and Bradford. I hope Joe Anyinsah will be fit to play but having said that, I'd rather he was fully fit for Saturday than risk him vs the Hornets.

They'll want to beat us to get their first win of the season and they'll think they can do that against League Two opposition, but we'll want to beat them on our own patch. We're the underdogs which is a label we won't have all too often this year, but I think we'll be happy to go in to the game without being expected to win - the pressure is off, so it will be interesting to see how we play.

I'm up for the game and think a win is very possible. Undoubtedly we need to be on-form up front and at the back, but coming in to the game following a clean sheet on Saturday, I think the boys will have the confidence to go on and claim a surprise victory.

1-0 Rovers. Hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts...